Fountains and small fountains in the streets of Florence
Once, while walking through the streets burned by the summer heat, you met some very useful cast iron fountains that dispensed fresh and drinkable water. In Rome, rich in water, there are still hundreds of them, they are called “nasoni” due to the characteristic shape of the spout. In Florence there are now very few of them, concentrated in the gardens and at the Cascine.
Many marble fountains were built in the past, not only to beautify the city or to celebrate someone and remember something, but also to refresh and quench the thirst of passers-by.
The Agnellino fountain is located in Piazza San Simone, at the back of the Verdi theater. It was born following the demolition of the large washhouse of the Arte della Lana, after the demolition of the ancient basin used by Florentine dyers and housewives for laundry.
The source of the Lion is located on the façade of Palazzo Pitti and was built by Cosimo III de ‘Medici in 1696 by adapting a lion’s head, a symbol of power, with a spout in the mouth that pours water into a large marble basin.
A popular but improper name, because it depicts a boar injured during hunting, is the fountain of the Porcellino (Pig), one of the best known monuments in Florence in the margin of Loggia del Mercato Nuovo. The original location was in front of the pharmacy of the same name “spezieria del Cinghiale” , along via Por Santa Maria Street and was moved to facilitate traffic.
The tabernacle of the Fonticine, one of the most beautiful tabernacles in Florence, in via Nazionale, a few steps from the San Lorenzo market.
Surmounted by a beautiful Della Robbia altarpiece, it is equipped with a
a marble basin supported by lion’s paws. Above it, a marble slab with seven faces of tender angels who spray jets of water into the tub (hence the popular name “Fonticine”).